Saturday, October 28, 2017

WHY AREN'T MY CITY'S LEADERS LISTENING TO MY PLEAS? 


Schenectady's Mayor McCarthy, council member John Mootooveren and the City Council have hugely disappointed me. They have failed to respond to my pleas to address and fix a rainwater pipe that has collapsed under the front of my property on Kingston Avenue. This old underground pipe, which runs under Kingston avenue, and under my property (the driveway and my front yard) on the opposite side of Zoller Elementary, spews out water and dirt every time it rains hard. The water and dirt come out from underground my property at several locations from under my front yard and from under my driveway (near the by the curb). And as I suspected, this spring the rain damaged our driveway- it caused it to collapse and buckle at the front, near the road.
Mayor Gary McCarthy- hasn't yet responded to my letter and request to meet with him.

Council member John Mootooveren- hasn't yet called me, as he promised. 

This drainage pipe, runs from the top of Kingstown Avenue, starting at McClellan, and I believe it ends at the intersection with Lancaster Street. In fact, at this corner (of Kingston & Lancaster) several years ago, my wife's SUV front tire got stuck in a hole, which was also caused also by another collapsed pipe. Luckily for us- both my wife and the car- were fine.
So, this past summer I personally went to City Hall and talked to the man in charge of the Water Department. He told me that it's not the City's responsibility to repair this drainage pipe because it runs under my property, not City's property. However, he also said that the City may repair it, only if they have enough funds next year. And he suggested I file a complaint. And/or make an appointment to talk to the mayor.  So I did both.


I filed a claim with the City of Schenectady, on 6-27-17, and left a copy with Kytrena Vedder, the mayor's secretary. In my claim I requested the City of Schenectady to pay for $3,000 in damages to my property. Several weeks later they responded with thumbs down. It was turned down by the NY Municipal Insurance Reciprocal- the agency who takes care of these issues. The File # was CSCHE-2017-048-001. Their reason was: it isn't the City’s responsibility and/or its fault.

So, the 2nd of August, I  sent mayor McCarthy an email with two images of my damaged driveway and I also requested a meeting- hoping that he may be able to help me with this issue. It's been now almost 3 months, and I'm still waiting for an answer! Do you think that mayor McCarthy has bigger fish to fry? Probably! But at least have the decency to answer me! Or do you think he just stays away from stinky little problems?

But that's not all folks! The show hasn't yet ended. Let me tell you the rest of the story!
On 9-11-17, the 16th anniversary of 9/11, I attended a City Council meeting, so I could present this problem, and possibly get a solution. So, this what I said to them.
My name is Ottavio Lo Piccolo. I am a public school teacher. I have been a Schenectady resident since 1987. I have lived at 1467 Kingston Avenue since early 2004. I’m originally from Italy and recently retired from the NY Air Guard with over 35 years of service. My children graduated from Sch’dy HS, and I have always paid my taxes.
I would like to inform you that the water discharge pipe that runs along Kingston Avenue  and runs under my property, through the front yard and driveway, has broken and damaged both my driveway and front yard. This old underground pipe has collapsed at various points under my property causing the driveway to buckle and creating a valley shape across it, in addition it has also created 5-7 holes on my front yard. So, whenever  it rains hard, dirt mixed with rainwater comes out of these holes and from under the driveway. So, rain water is eroding the underground of my property along Kingston Avenue- this could cause a sink hole- hence the collapse of my front yard and the road along my property.
I suggest that the City of Schenectady fix and/or replace this underground pipe asap, because it can cause further damage to the road and my property (estimated at about 3 to 5 thousand dollars to fix both). I’m afraid that if this pipe isn’t repaired or replaced, I fear that it may break at other points and incur additional damages to other properties and on Kingston Avenue, including the road.
Thank you. 


I must say that the council members listened to me attentively, that evening. In fact, after I stepped outside the chamber, Mr. John Mootooveren, one of the council members, approached me and asked for my telephone numbers. I asked him why. He said that he was going to present this problem to the "right authorities" and he'd get back to me. So, I gave him the copy of the above letter- the one I read to the City Council- which had my home phone, my email and home address. I wrote my cellular number on it and gave him the letter.  I'm still waiting for an answer!
I want to also take this occasion to point out that, in addition to the problem on Kingston Avenue, Lancaster Street
(the next street that is near and intersects mine) has had also problems since 2004- the year I moved to Kingston Avenue- and which aren't yet being addressed. Lancaster Street looks like a creek during the spring, and an ice rink during the winter months- it's always full of ice! Because the water collect there and can't go anywhere! It can't drain away. In addition, Lancaster is also full of path-holes!
What is the City waiting for to repair these streets? Will it fix it after they flow away? And/or when Kingston street collapses from a sink hole? It seems to me that the City of Schenectady is playing with fire- they're shoving these problems under the rug- they think they're not important- but our tax dollars are! They want them right away! Yet, good citizens like me have to wait, and God knows how long! for the mayor and city council to respond to us and address our needs! 

Do not expect my support at the November elections! You have let me down!

No comments:

Post a Comment