Sunday, October 8, 2017

MY SPEECH at my DAUGHTER'S PAOLO WEDDING, this past September 10th (2017).
IL MIO DISCORSO al MATRIMONIO DI MIA FIGLIA il 10 settembre scorso. Italiano in basso.


It is a tradition that some of the guests in a US wedding speak. Usually the speakers are family members and/or close friends of the bride/groom.  But what do you say at a wedding? That was my question this summer when I was told by my daughter that, since I'm her dad, I would have to speak at her wedding in September. So, I started writing, without a clear idea of what to say. Then this past August I did a short research on Google, and I asked this question. What does a Father say at his daughter's wedding? I found several sites that answered my question, but this one was my favorite: www.weddingideas.com/how-to-write-a-flawlwss-father-of-the-bride-speech/  
I loved their outline and used most of their ideas; that a wedding speech shouldn't be more than 8 minutes... but mine went over because I had meaningful/important things I wanted to say! 
Read my speech after my Italian intro, below.

 È una tradizione che alcuni ospiti dei matrimonii celebrati negli Stati Uniti, parlano- facciano un discorso. Di solito gli oratori sono membri della famiglia e / o amici vicini alla sposa e/o sposo. Ma che cosa si dice ad un matrimonio? Questa era la mia domanda che mi ponevo quest'estate quando sono stato avvisato da mia figlia che dovevo parlare al suo matrimonio a settembre. Così, ho iniziato a scrivere, ma senza una chiara idea di cosa dire. Allora ho fatto una breve ricerca su Google, e gli ho chiesto questa domanda: Cosa dovrebbe dire un padre al matrimonio di sua figlia? Ho trovato diversi siti che hanno risposto alla mia domanda, ma questo è stato il mio preferito:
www.weddingideas.com/how-to-write-a-flawlwss-father-of-the-bride-speech/  per come presentano le loro idee e l'organizazione del tema e la durata, che dovrebbe non dovrebbe essere non piu' di 8 minuti... ma io sono andatooltre perche' avevo cose significative, per me importanti, che dovevo dire!
 Leggi la versione italiana in basso, dopo quella inglese.

My Speech at my Daughter's Wedding 9-10-17
1.    Hello everyone! Welcome to Salvi’s and Paolo’s wedding. My family and I are happy and honored that you’re here today for this special occasion.
1a.   Before I begin, I need to say two things; first my talk will also be in Italian, for our family members who are visiting from Italy.

1b. And second, adults who drink alcohol, including myself; please remember to be responsible- Moderation is the key.

2. Here we go! What can a father say about his daughter? I could say a lot of wonderful things about her, but I’ll share only a few memories- some funny and some serious. Salvi was a happy and affectionate child. We spent a lot of time playing together at home, in the yard, and at the park, butsometimes she could be difficult- when it was time to leave the playground and go home. She started screaming and crying! It was embarrassing. And I remember that to make her stop I lied to her- I told her that I’d call the police, or I’d have to go to the bathroom. Once, while in a supermarket, I threatened her with a spanking- because she started screaming for some junk food. So, I whispered in her hear: “If you don’t stop screaming, I’ll take you outside and give you a good spanking! Would you like one? It’s free!  It worked!


2b. But Salvi was also sweet/kind- one time, when my birthday was coming up- she knew that I liked to go to Red-Lobster for seafood. So, she said to me: Daddy, I’m saving money to take you to Led-Lobster!
   
2c. Then as a teenager Salvi became a daredevil! She jumped off the Rexford Bridge! She wanted to show her friends that she wasn’t scared! She Threatened to leave home, because she didn’t like our rules. One time she left, but came back after a few minutes. She was often defiant and antagonizing- we disagreed on almost everything! She challenged me asked me with tough, and sometimes shocking questions- Up to this day I still don’t know if she did it out of curiosity, or just to upset me! So, what was it Salvi? Hoeever, I also asked her tough questions, to make her think, reflect and grow. But I often wondered if I was doing the right thing- if I was teaching her well.

2d. I saw the results when in her teens and early 20s. She began to change. She never left home, and she began understanding that our rules were meant to help her grow and be a better person. She stopped being an antagonist and became more cooperative, more reflective and less impulsive. 

Today Salvi is mature, friendly, generous, open minded and compassionate person. She is also a good listener- a dependable person- someone who likes to help others.
Now, my family and I, are the one who seek her counsel. And not only that, but she also helped my son Gianni get his 2nd part/time job at CVS- because he hated working at Donkin Donuts!
Even though he loved eating them donuts! And never shared them!! My daughter was challenging, but she taught me many lessons about parenting, faith, and life in general. It is thanks to her that today I am a better father. 


3. So, I thank God every day for my daughter. And I’m also thankful for my wife- she is probably the most influential person in Salvi’s life. Yes, my wife can be a tough demanding mother- but that’s because she cares. It is thanks to her touch, wisdom and dedication that Salvi was able to put this celebration together. Grazie Mariella! Thank you for your constant support, for your love, your hard work and faithful dedication to our family.

4. And now I want to thank our family members who are in Italy, especially Salvi’s grandparents: Toto’ and Giovanna Vitale, who couldn’t be here because of health reasons. 


I thank my father, Gianni Lo Piccolo- who lives in Italy, but is here today. It is mostly to my dad’s sacrifices and fidelity to our family that my brother and I have built a future in this great country of ours. Thanks Dad! I love you! I also thank my aunts, uncles and cousins in Italy. We miss them and we love them too.
4a. I also want to tank a person who helped me in dealing with my daughter, when she was as a difficult teenager. He gave me a helpful piece of advice that I still remember today. He said:
4b. “Ottavio, children are like little seeds, you put them in the ground, and you take care of them, every day. And I’m sure that someday that little seed will grow into a beautiful person.”
 

4c. Those words have become a reality, just look at her! She a beautiful… plant! … I mean a beautiful woman!
That person is Father John Medwid. Thank you father for your kind, thoughtful and wise words! God Bless you!

 
5. What can I say about Paolo? (my son-in-law) That I’m also proud of this young man- Salvi made a wise choice! Paolo comes from a caring family, he is mature, considerate, responsible- someone who like me loves nature, art and music. In fact, he plays the drums and the guitar. In addition, he is calmer than Salvi! In other words, he is a good complement for her -sometime impulsive side- I know that Paolo will take good care of Salvi! As a matter of fact, he recently got a German Sheppard- so that it can protect Salvi when he isn’t home.

5a. And for all those good qualities about Paolo,
I want to thank his family; first his dad, Paul Barbolla, then his grandmother Betty Barbolla, his mother and brothers being here today, and also all of his relatives who were close to him after he lost his dad. May God bless you all!

6. Our thoughts also go to all of our deceased family members and friends; especially; my mother, Salvatrice, my two step moms: Maria Pia and Giuseppina, Paolo’s dad- Paul Barbolla Senior, my brother-in-law, Totuccio Pipitone and our dear friend Giuseppe Viglione.

7. What can a father suggest to you, our newlyweds, for a long and stable marriage? I suggest three things;

First, love each other, be gentle, be respectful and considerate
toward each other. Share your responsibilities- help and support each other in all that you do, and in all your dream.

Second, appreciate one another- don’t ever take each other for granted. Tell each other; I love you- every day- and show it to each other, even with simple acts.

Third, don’t forget your where you come from- don’t forget you families, their traditions, their values and their faith; because these are your roots, which will help you when life’s storms will come your way. And lastly, you don’t want to forget us because we still love you.

8. Salvi and Paolo, these three things shouldn’t be difficult for you because our families have lived this reality- reciprocal love- everyday. Now it is your turn to continue on this path. If do this, God will bless you immensely and protect you always.

AND Now I will say my speech in Italian.


DISCORSO di Ottavio Lo Piccolo al matrimonio di sua figlia Salvi. 10 Settembre, 2017

1. Ciao a tutti! Benvenuti al matrimonio di Salvi e Paolo. Sia io che  la mia famiglia siamo felici e onorati di avervi qui per questa occasione speciale.

2.   Prima del mio discorso voglio ricordare a tutti gli adulti che piace bere alcolici- io compreso- di stare attenti, e bere in moderazione, perche’l’alcohol puo’ uccidere. Mi raccomando!

3. Allora? Cosa può dire un padre di sua figlia il giorno delle sue nozze? Potrei scrivere un libro di cose belle su mia figlia, ma oggi condivido solamente alcuni eventi indimenticabili; alcuni comici, e alcuni seri.

3a. Salvi da bambina era bella, come lo e ora, era vivace, affettuosa e felice, ma a volte un po’ prepotente! La signora Barbolla era anche una "birbante"- Ecco cosa combinava;
Quando andavamo al parco si divertiva tanto, ma spesso non voleva tornare a casa e gridava come una pazza. Allora gli dicevo delle bugie per farla smettere... Gli dicevo che avrei chiamato la polizia… o che dovevo andar a fare la pipi! O che l’avrei sculacciata!  Infatti, una volta, incomincio’ a gridare al supermercato, perche’ voleva che gli comprassi delle porcherie. Per farla calmare gli dissi all’orecchio: “Se non la smetti ti porto fuori e ti do’ una bella sculacciata! La vuoi una? Non costa niente! E’ gratis!” Funziono'!

3b. Quando Salvi frequentava il liceo, non gli piacevano le nostre regole di famiglia, quindi una volta cerco’ di andar via da casa, ma torno’ dopo pochi minuti. A volte mi faceva domande molto scioccanti- e non capivo se era curiosita’ o se mi voleva solamante fare arrabbiare! Allora si puo’ sapere cos’era?  Era la tua curiosita’ o volevi farmi arrabbiare? Erano entrambi!
Comunque, all’inizio dell’universita Salvi  comincio’ a cambiare; non era piu’ una ribelle testarda, ma una ragazza piu’ matura- era piu’ sensibile perche’ ascoltava ai suoi genitori.

3c. Oggi, mia figlia è una persona molto diversa, e sono orgoglioso di lei perche’ e’ diventata una persona meravigliosa! E’ indipendente, responsible, intelligente e vincente. Ma soprattutto, e’ un’amica, una persona generosa e  compassionevole che ascolta a tutti, e che cerca sempre di aiutare al prossimo.

4. E per tutte queste cose, ringrazio a Dio e mia moglie. A Dio per avermi dato questa figlia, e a mia moglie perche’ la sua prima priorità è stata sempre il benessere dei nostri figli. Sì, a volte Mariella può essere una madre dura e impegnativa, ma è cosi perché ci vuole bene. Ed e’ grazie al suo tocco, alla sua esperienza e alla sua dedizione che Salvi ha potuto mettere insieme questa celebrazione. Mariella, grazie per il tuo impegno, per il tuo amore, e la tua costante fedelta’ alla nostra famiglia.


4a. C’e un’altra persona che mi ha aiutato a capire mia figlia quando era adolescente. Questa persona mi diede un consiglio molto importante. Mi disse:
4a. "Ottavio, i bambini sono come piccoli semi, li metti nel terreno e ti prendi cura di essi quotidianamente. E sono certo che un giorno quel piccolo seme crescerà in una bella pianta, diventerà una buona persona."

4b. Quelle parole oggi sono diventate realtà, basta guardarla! È una bellissima ... pianta ... intendo dire una bella donna!
La persona che ha detto quelle parole rassicuranti è padre John Medwid. Grazie padre per le sue parole gentili e sagge! Dio la benedica!

5. Ringrazio anche la famiglia di Paolo, la buon’anima di suo padre, Paul Barbolla,  la nonna di Paolo, Betty Barbolla, sua madre e i suoi fratelli, e tutti i suoi parenti che gli sono sati vicini dopo la morte di suo padre.

5a. Ringrazio anche i nostri parenti che sono in Italia, in particolare i nonni di Salvi: Toto 'e Giovanna Vitale, che non possono essere qui per motivi di salute.  Mio padre Giovanni Battista Lo Piccolo, che oggi e’ qui- lo ringrazio per tutti i sacrifici che ha fatto per la nostra famiglia. Gran parte grazie a lui, io e mio fratello ci siamo fatti un futuro in questo grande paese. Papa’ grazie, e che Dio ti benedica. Ti voglio bene. Ringrazio di cuore, anche tutti i miei zii e zie, in Italia. Ci mancate, vi penso sempre, e vi voglio bene.

6. I nostri pensieri vanno anche ai nostri parenti defunti, specialmente; mia madre, Salvatrice, Maria Pia e Giuseppina, il papà di Paolo, Paul Barbolla. Mio cognato, Totuccio Pipitone, e il nostro caro amico Giuseppe Viglione.

7.  Adesso, cosa posso dire di Paolo? Dico che sono fiero di lui- Salvi ha fatto un'altra scelta saggia! Paolo viene da una buona famiglia, è una persona matura e responsabile. È infine e’ molto più calmo di Salvi! Gli piace la natura, l’arte e la musica- infatti suona la chitarra e la batteria. In altre parole, è un buon complemento per il lato talvolta impulsivo di Salvi. Quindi, sono sicuro che Paolo la proteggera’ bene, specialmente ora che ha comprato un pastore tedesco per proteggerla meglio. .

8. Infine, cosa vi può suggerire un padre per una vita matrimoniale serena e stabile?  Vi suggerisco tre cose;

Primo, amatevi, rispettatevi e siate premurosi l’uno con l’altro. Perche’nella vita rimane solo l’amore e la carita. Quindi, aiutatevi a vicenda in tutti i vostri doveri, e in tutto quello che fate e sognate.
Secondo, apprezzatevi a vicenda- non prendete niente per scontato- abbracciatevi, baciatevi e ditevi che vi volete bene ogni giorno, e dimostratelo anche con semplici atti d’affetto.

Terzo, non dimenticatevi delle vostre famiglie; le nostre tradizioini, i nostri valori e la nostra fede; perche’ queste sono le nostre radici che vi aiuteranno a essere sicuri e solidi, quando arrivano le tempeste della vita. E infine, non dimenticatevi di noi perche’ noi vi vogliamo bene e abbiamo ancora bisogno di voi.

9. Salvi e Paolo, credo che queste tre cose non saranno difficili per voi, perché le nostre famiglie vivo no questa realta‘, l’affetto reciproco,  ogni giorno- ora tocca a voi proseguire sulla stessa via. Se farete questo, Dio vi benedirà immensamente e vi proteggerà sempre.

10. Ora facciamo un brindisi per Paolo e Salvi-  Per favore alzatevi, e alzate anche i vostri bicchieri.

10a. Now, I’d like to conclude with a toast for Paolo and Salvi-  Please stand up and hold your glasses up.
10b. CONGRATULATIONS! Cheers!
Auguri! Salute e felicita’ per sempre! E che Dio vi benedica!
Health and happiness forever! And may God bless you!





(c) Ottavio Lo Piccolo, 9- 2017. Diritti riservati.

No comments:

Post a Comment