Saturday, August 8, 2015

YEARBOOK 2014-15
Ottavio Lo Piccolo's Adult ESL Students
 

Introduction                                          
1.     In this book you will find the ESL students I taught this year. They are adult immigrants. By the way, ESL stands for English as a Second Language. I teach ESL adult immigrant (students) who come from other countries, and during the day I teach
children of immigrants, or who maybe born here, but speak another language at home.

1a.  Naoko Gleason, Ela and me, Ottavio, at my display table during the Christmas Craft Fair at Saint John's Evangelist Church. December 2015. I sold used books and some of my art works to support The Cesar Chavez/Mother Cabrini ESL Scholarship, for adult ESL Ss (students).
 
2.     I put this book together for my students, so they can see it take and share it with their families and friends. They dictated (read) me their stories and I typed them. In doing so we learned about each other. This is important because when we share we also learn about one-another, we understand each other better, and hopefully accept each other, although we may be a little different- because in the end we all need to be accepted/respected.




2a.  Naoko Gleason, Ela and me, Ottavio, with one of my paintings, during the Christmas Craft Fair at Saint John's Evangelist Church. December 2015.

3.     Although challenging, (even if difficult) as always, this was another positive (good) school year for me. I enjoyed working with all them because they are great students; most of them are motivated (work hard) and committed (dedicated, devoted, faithful) to improving (making better) their English and their life here in the USA. work hard.  In addition, most adult ESL students are very respectful and cooperative bunch (a group that works together). This is evident (you can see/understand it) by reading their short biographies (stories) and looking at their images in this yearbook.

3a.  Naoko Gleason, at her display table during the Christmas Craft Fair at Saint John's Evangelist Church. December 2015.

4.     We need to defend (protect, keep safe, look after) new immigrants, new ESL students, because they are here, in the USA, to build a better future for themselves. We need to protect them because they are trying to integrate (fit in) into American way of life, and at the same time they are trying to learn a new language. So they can’t defend themselves. Hence, it has to be us, the teachers, those of us who are well established in the USA. and the people of good will who must lend (give) them a hand (help) in overcoming (conquering, defeating), injustices (unfair practices) in America. I know from experience that leaving your country and migrating (going, traveling) to another country and starting a new life in a foreign (new, strange) land - isn’t an easy feat (thing to do). I came from Italy at 17, and the beginning was very hard. Let me tell you why. 

4a. During one of our celebration. We all bring foods from our countries, we eat, we talk and socialize (get to know each other).

5.     Usually, new ESL arrivals (students/immigrants) face (find, have) many difficulties; they have to learn a new language, and get used to new customs (traditions/culture), and their families struggle (have to work hard) because they have make a living. Furthermore (also), new arrivals sometimes face discrimination (unfairness), and intolerance (prejudice, bias, bigotry). Sometimes they even are ridiculed (made fun of). They are thought to be stupid and/or ignorant (not educated) by some natives (people born here) - simply because they can’t speak English.  Some are also bullied (abused, physically/morally). I personally was bullied in high school.

Therefore, it is our duty (responsibility, obligation) to help them out, because we all were immigrants once. We can help them by being respectful to them, to their culture (traditions) and their country. We have to be kind (good, nice) and patient (tolerant, kind, enduring) toward them. Why? Because they are human beings, who are going through delicate (fragile, weak) times. They’re learning our language, our customs (traditions, ways), our way of life, they are trying to survive, and trying to make a positive (good) contribution (work, job) to America. In fact, most immigrants are honest/hard working people who left their country because they couldn’t make it over there (could not survive) – they want to work, they bring many talents (skills, abilities) to our society. 

 
In addition (and), many of them are willing do jobs that we, the natives (those born in the US, those who are well established in the USA) don’t want to do. Many of them work as cleaners, janitors, farm/factory/food workers - jobs that natives and those  who are well established (been in America a long time and have good jobs)) don’t want, but ESL Ss/immigrants will do any honest job because they can’t speak English- they need to survive (live) in the USA!



6.     To lend a hand (help, assist) my ESL students I have established (made, created) a scholarship. It’s called the Cesar Chavez/Mother Cabrini ESL Scholarship, in honor (respect, admiration, tribute) of two American heroes- two leaders who dedicated their lives in improving the conditions (life situation) immigrants. I will raise (collect, get, accept) funds (money) for this scholarship by selling some of my art works and writings, and also by collecting (save, pick up, gather) donated (given) recycling (soda, water bottles, etc.),  and by accepting (taking, collecting) the generous (large, big, kind, big heart) donations of individuals (people) and businesses (stores, firms) in the Capital Region. 


7.     I encourage (invite) anyone (teachers/school staff, parents, business owners) in supporting this effort, by making a financial (money, cash) donation (offer), and/or by donating gift certificates/products, music, art works, movies, books, etc. Please see the last few pages of this book for more information. Thank you & GBY for your support and compassion toward our ESL students and immigrants! Last year, in June of 2014, I awarded 2 - 150 scholarship. This year, the Cesar Chavez/Mother Cabrini ESL Scholarship was $300 and I awarded it (gave it) to  Naoko Gleason.




 ESL ADULT STUDENTS at the BOCES Adult Educ. Program At the CTE campus in Albany, NY
My name is Adjo Fasemte. I am from Togo (Africa). I came to the USA when I was 21, and now I have been in this country for 2 years. In Togo I was a student. 
I came to the USA because I got married with an American. 
Now I am a housewife and I am learning English so I can get a job soon. 
I am married and I don't have any children.
For fun I like to read, cook, ride my bike, and go to the park. 
My dream in the US is to study and become a nurse, and then have a beautiful family. 
I think that my life in the America is good because I have a good husband who loves me, and does everything for me.

Peiyu (Rachel) Chen with her two beautiful boys.
 
 My name is Peiyu (Rachel) Chen. I am from China.
  I came to the USA in 2005. In China I was a... 
I came to the USA because I..
Now I work as an accountant and I am a housewife, I am an ESL student. 
I am married and I have two children.
For fun I like t...
My dream in the US is to...
I think that my life in the America is good because I...
 

 My name is lan Su. I am from Vietnam.
  I came to the USA in 2014. In Vietnam I was a student. 
I came to the USA because I
Now I am a housewife and I am learning English so I can get a job soon. 
I am married and I don't have any children.
For fun I like to
My dream in the US is to
I think that my life in the America is good because I 


 My name is Rustaln Ponomarov. I am from Ukraine.
  I came to the USA in 2014. In Ukraine I was an engineer. 
I came to the USA because I
Now I am a car mechanic, and learning English.
I am married and I don't have ____ children.
For fun I like to___________
My dream in the US is to_____
I think that my life in the America is good because I 

Arent' I pretty?!? My name is Suiqing (Lily) Mo. I am from China.
  I came to the USA in... In China I was a... 
I came to the USA because I..
Now I work as an accountant and I am a housewife, I am an ESL student. 
I am single and I don't have any children.
For fun I like t...
My dream in the US is to...
I think that my life in the America is good because I...




Naoko Gleason the winner of the 2015 Cesar Chavez / Mother Cabrini ESL Scholarship
 
 My name is Naoko Gleason. I am from Japan.
  I came to the USA in 1976. In China I was an art conservator and a jewlery designer.
I came to the USA because I married an American citizen. We have to children.
Now I work as cake decorator and I make oriental decorated crafts, fridge magnets, bag holders, pencils and much more. i sell them at craft fares and to friends.
For fun I like to read novels, listen to music, do yoga, watch movies, and cook.
My dream in the US is to get more work experience for a better future.
I think that my life in the America is a good opportunity to live, learn and think from a different point of view, which has helped in my marriage. I have learned many good things from Americans and my children (who were born here).

(This is a class I taught for the first time this summer.)
 L-R: Enas Al Naseri, Jan Krawozyk, me, Musa Keawin,  Mariana Massuai, and Ersi Qeva
 Why 3 similar photos? Look at the one you like!


 My name is Enas, Al Naseri I am from Iraq.
  I came to the USA in 2014. In Iraq I was a.... 
I came to the USA because I
Now I work as a medical tool cleaner, and I am a housewife too.
I am married and I have ____ children.
For fun I like to___________
My dream in the US is to_____
I think that my life in the America is good because I 

 My name is Jan Krawozyk. I am from Poland.
  I came to the USA in 2005. In Poland I was a.... 
I came to the USA because I
Now I am work as a...
I am married and I ____ children.
For fun I like to___________
My dream in the US is to_____
I think that my life in the America is good because I

 My name is Musa Keawin I am from Liberia (Africa).
  I came to the USA in 2005. In Liberia I was a... 
I came to the USA because I..
Now I am a...
I am married and I don't have any children.
For fun I like to___________
My dream in the US is to_____
I think that my life in the America is good because I

My name is Mariana Massuai. I am from Liberia (Africa) .
  I came to the USA in 2005.
I came to the USA because I..
Now I work as....and I am a housewife.
I am married and I don't have... children.
For fun I like t...
My dream in the US is to...
I think that my life in the America is good because I...


 My name isErsi Qeva  I am from Albania (Europe).
  I came to the USA in 2015. In Albania I was a... 
I came to the USA because I..
Now I am a ...
I am married and I don't have any children.
For fun I like to___________
My dream in the US is to_____
I think that my life in the America is good because I 
___________________________________________________________________
 Cesar Chávez & Mother Frances Cabrini
Two Heroes Who Helped Immigrants

Introduction. Who was Caesar Chávez?
Chávez was a social activist, a person who helped others get their dignity, respect and rights. He was also a leader (someone who leads, guides others) who showed people improve (make better) their life. He worked for the farm worker’s rights in California. Rights are the things we need to lead a better life; like freedom, respect, justice, better pay, health insurance, vacations, etc. He helped Californian farm workers get the things they needed on their jobs; better working conditions and better wages (pay). He did this with his non-violent (peaceful) ways. He used the power of peaceful words and actions to accomplish (do, get to) his goals (dreams, objectives, aspirations, purposes).

 
1.    Chavez was the 2nd of 5 children, and he was born on March 21, 1927. He grew up on a farm, in Arizona’s North Valley, near Yuma, the borders of California and Mexico, and the Colorado River. His parents lost their farm during the Great Depression. This was a very difficult economic time in the USA, from the 1930’s to 1940. At that time lots of people had no jobs, many lost their homes and their businesses (shops, farms) because they couldn’t pay their bills. Cesar’s family also lost their farm because of a drought (no rain)- that lasted 5 years- made their situation (condition) worse (even more drastic); they couldn’t grow and sell any crops, they couldn’t pay taxes to the government, hence (so) they had to sell their farm.


2.     So, during the 1960’s, Chávez and thousands of other farm workers picked fruits and vegetables from morning until evening in the hot California fields. They received the lowest wages (pay), they had no bathrooms and no water. And, if they complained they could be fired, beaten up and/or killed. They also didn’t have any legal rights (no law could help them), and they were not allowed (not permitted) to organize and vote for better working/pay conditions (circumstances).  In addition (also), they had no clean drinking water, no access to portable toilets (movable bathrooms), no lunch breaks, and/or short rest breaks during the workday. They neither had a minimum wage, or any employment insurance. Benefits such as health insurance, pensions, and paid vacations were unheard of; they were only dreams for them. In addition, their housing was terrible, and most migrant kids didn’t have a chance of finishing high school. But at that time nobody seemed to care. 


3.     In order to overcome these injustices (wrongs bad actions), in 1962 Cesar established (formed, created) the National Farm Workers Association. His dream was to improve (make better) the lives of his fellow farm workers in a non-violent (no violence) and peaceful way. And in 1967 he co-founded (with someone else) the United Farm Workers union with his wife Dolores Huerta. In the same year he led an historic 350 mile march from Delano to the steps of the California Capitol, Sacramento. Here thousands of supporters (helpers) joined him on Easter Sunday to demand (ask for) better pay and working conditions for all farm workers. 


 
4.     But this wasn’t all. To show his commitment (promise, vow, pledge) to La Causa (Spanish for The Cause), Cesar would go on hunger strikes (not eating, just had water). This action attracted support (help, understanding) from around the world. However, it took him 5 years - of fasting (not eating) , jail time (for him and other leaders), marches, picketing (protesting) and bargaining (negotiating, making a deal, trying to reach an agreement, a solution) - before most of the largest Delano grape growers gave in (surrendered, they said OK. He later formed a Farm Worker’s union that helped farm workers get better working conditions and better pay. The farm owners agreed to give farm workers, fresh water to drink, bathrooms and pay increases (more money), so their lives could improve (be better).
Chavez with Senator Robert Kennedy, after Chavez got the rights for his farm workers. Later Senator Kennedy was assassinated (killed) by an assassin.

5.     Chávez died in 1993, at the age of 66, after a 36 day hunger strike (no food). He was a controversial (divisive, not everyone liked/agreed with him) figure (person) for those who resisted (didn’t like) change and didn’t want better conditions (life) for migrant (moving) workers and immigrants (people who come from other countries). Even today some don’t like him because of his efforts (hard work) in helping poor migrant farm workers, and his activist ideas (new/liberal ideas). Many have never heard of him, others continue to work for the same ideals (ideas, dreams) and hopes.

6.     I often wonder (think); what motivated (inspired) Chávez? I am sure that his mother’s teachings made a big influence (effect, impact) on him. He also had strength (power, inspiration) from his religious beliefs (ideals, values, principles), his Mexican traditions (customs, beliefs, rituals), and his heroes (courageous people), like Saint Francis of Assisi; Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. (who lead the African American civil rights movement); and Mahatma Gandhi, the leader of the nonviolent fight for India’s independence from Great Britain. These leaders also gave him inspiration (ideas) and motivation (courage, strength) to do good for others. But I think that the greatest influence came from his family, his parents.


This is a film (movie) about Chavez's struggle (work) to help the farm workers in California get their rights; better pay and treatment.


Who was? Maria Francesca Cabrini, 
also known (called) Mother Cabrini?

1.     Saint Frances Cabrini, was also known as Maria Francesca Cabrini. She was a nun (religious & holy sister – a catholic woman/worker) who helped poor immigrant children by providing (giving) them a home to stay, and by building many hospitals. She born in a small Italian village on July 15, 1850. She was the youngest of 13 children. Her parents died when she was 18 and decided to become a nun, but she was turned down because of poor health. For a while she worked in an orphanage. Her bishop was impressed by her dedication that he invited her to establish (to start/begin) a community (group of people) to teach young girls. So Maria, along seven other young women, founded (created/established) the Missionary sisters of the Sacred Heart. The community was successful (good, grew bigger/better) and vocations were plentiful (many wanted to be nuns/sisters like her). In 1889, Pope Leo XII asked her to go to New York and work with poor Italian immigrants. So she arrived (went, got to) at Ellis Island on March 3 of that year with 6 six other missionary sisters (nuns who travel/work in other countries). Within 2 years she founded an orphanage (home for children w/out parents) and also opened Columbus Hospital in New York. In 1909 Mother Cabrini became a U.S. citizen.
2.     She established (started, built) schools, hospitals and orphanages (homes for children without parents) throughout the United States. Mother Cabrini died on December 22, 1922. Pope Pius XII canonized her (declared her a saint) in 1946, and named her Patroness (protector) of immigrants. She was the first U. S. citizen to be declared a saint. I believe that this Christian sister of ours can be our spiritual/moral support in helping the immigrant struggle here in the U.S.A. That’s another reason (explanation) why she’s on my favorite list of leaders and hero (brave, courageous, not afraid, kind) of our times.  
 
 Mother Cabrini - Vocabulary Words you may not know
1. She was a nun. A nun is a religious & holy sister – a catholic woman/worker) who helped poor immigrant children 
2. providing means; giving, offering. My parents provided for me, when i was a child. They gave me food, shelter (a home), clothes and lots of love.
3. to establish (to start/begin, to make, to build a school, hospital,, orphanage, etc.)
4. a community (group of people). I live in a community in Schenectady, NY.
5. founded (created/established). Cabrini created many hospitals and orphanages for poor people and children.
6. successful (good, grew bigger/better) vocations (women who wanted to become nuns like her).
I work hard, that's why I am successful. I work hard, I make money and my students like me.
7. plentiful (many wanted to be nuns/sisters like her). In America jobs are plentiful, there are many types of jobs!
8. arrived (went, got to). She arrived in NY City in the 1800s.
9. missionary sisters (nuns who travel/work in other countries). Mother Cabrini was a missionary sister (or nun) because she left her country, Italy, and came to the USA.
10. She, Mother Cabrini, established (started, built, founded) schools, hospitals and orphanages.
11. orphanages (homes for children without parents).
12. The pope, the leader of the catholic Church, canonized her (declared her a saint) in 1946, and named her 
13. The pope declared (said, told everyone) Patroness (protector) of immigrants (people who leave their country for work/jobs). 
14. She was the first U. S. saint (a holy person).
15. reason  (explanation). The reason why people come to America is jobs, freedom and education (schools).
16. hero a brave, courageous, not afraid, kind of person. Chavez and Cabrini were two American heroes because they dedicated their life to helping others.

Chavez's Vocabulary
1. hunger strike, not eating food for a certain time period, for days, even weeks. Chavez went on hunger strikes many times, so that the world would pay attention to his cause, and help him speak up against the farm owners who didn't want to pay good wages.
2. controversial
(divisive, not everyone agreed with him
3. resisted
(didn’t like) better conditions (life) for migrant (moving) workers
4. immigrants
(people who come to the US from other countries, for work, jobs)
5. efforts (work).
They put much effort (work in their causes (ideas, goals, projects).
6. activist ideas
(a person who has new/liberal (free) ideas, like Chavez.
7.  ideals
(ideas, dreams) and hopes.
8. wonder
(think). I wonder how the weather will be this weekend. i hope it's good!
9. motivated
(inspired). I am motivated to get this project (job) and lesson finished!
10. influence
(effect, impact, encouragement). I have been influenced by my parents too, my family, by God and by good people! 
11. strength
(power, inspiration)
12. beliefs
(ideals, values, principles)
13. traditions
(customs, beliefs, rituals),









No comments:

Post a Comment